MOPA Internships - Spring 2016
Development & Design Internship
Starts Spring 2016
This position offers an entry-level introduction into the daily operations of a Development Department, offering valuable hands-on experience in the recruitment and stewardship of donations to the Museum and related fundraising activities. This intern works within the Development Department, providing assistance in their work with current and prospective donors and members to the Museum.
Through this internship opportunity, the Development & Design intern will gain exposure to the following operations:
- Perform donor analysis, identification of new donor leads, conducting research to qualify potential giving.
- Design cultivation activities to attract major gift prospects.
- Practice graphic design skills with the Development team to create and deliver compelling, fundraising-focused design solutions for the web, social media, print collateral, and promotional items like e-newsletters.
- Gain experience in database management, data input and pipeline reporting.
- Other projects as assigned may include conducting mailings, and other related administrative tasks.
Under the supervision of the Director of Development Operations and Membership Officer, the Development/Design Intern will be responsible for contributing to internal/external fundraising efforts through:
- Designing images to be used for print and web
- Creating flyers and newsletters in Publisher and/or InDesign
- Photographing clients and events
- Aiding in promotional efforts for events and day of execution
- Creating and distributing e-newsletters
- Additional assistance in development and marketing initiatives as required by the Director of Development Operations
The ideal candidate will be currently enrolled or recently completed higher education. Additionally, the candidate will possess strong written and verbal communication skills, media and design experience, the ability to work independently, as well as a desire to gain fundraising experience in a museum environment.
Exhibition Design Internship
Starts Spring 2016
MOPA’s Exhibition Department is seeking an intern to assist with exhibition design and development for the Museum’s 2016-17 exhibitions. The intern works closely with the Curatorial Department staff to plan, prepare, and implement design and fabrication for numerous projects including gallery signage, wayfinding, and exhibition interpretation.
Learning Objectives & Educational Experience:
- Experience in the administration and management of exhibition design and preparation.
- Development of exhibition content and branding.
- Understanding of the broader Museum environment, with opportunities to work with the Education, Development, and/or Operations departments.
- Understanding of new trends in exhibition development, visitor engagement, and participation in the museum field.
- Provide support to the Curatorial staff for exhibition and graphic design.
- Fabricate exhibition materials including: object labels, wall panels, vinyl etc.
- Conducting research and plan gallery layout for upcoming exhibitions, with concern for visitor experience.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must have excellent design, research, and communication skills.
- Must have experience with Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop.
- Skills with Google SketchUp and AutoCAD are desired, but not required.
- Must be able to work with staff members as well as independently.
- Must be available to work 2 to 3 days a week for 3 to 4 hours a day, Monday through Friday
Social Media and Communications Intern
Starts Spring 2016
Reports to the Marketing & Communications Manager
This intern works in the Operations Department, providing assistance to the Marketing & Communications Manager at the Museum of Photographic Arts. The ideal candidate is energetic, curious, self-motivated, a fast learner, tech-savvy, and a team player ready to have fun and learn about in-house marketing and communications. Qualified candidates will demonstrate creative, technical, and organizational skills that consistently exceed the expectations of our team.
This position offers an entry-level introduction into the daily marketing and communications efforts of MOPA.
• Understand the role of internal/external communications within the museum
• Learn how to research and determine what types of content audiences want
• Understanding of how social media supports marketing initiatives and used at a professional business level
Under the supervision of the Marketing & Communications Manager, the Social Media & Communications Intern will be responsible for contributing to:
• Online outreach and promotion using Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn
• Monitor and post on social media networks
• Edit museum communications, including press releases and news posts
• Photograph clients and events for social media (phoneography accepted)
• Assist with day-to-day marketing outreach
• Opportunity to write content for website
• Email Marketing- creating and distributing email newsletters, including monthly Snapshot
• Assist with other tasks as needed by the Marketing & Communications Manager
• Pursuing a degree related to Marketing and Communications
• Interest in bringing forward ideas and contributing to the MOPA team
• Experience with professional use of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn
• Familiarity with smartphone apps to assist social media (i.e. photo editing, reposting, etc.)
• Excellent “phoneography” skills plus interest in photography/visual media
• Attention to detail, exceptional organizational skills, and ability to plan, prioritize, and
coordinate multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously.
• Ability to work independently
• Strong written and verbal communication skills, preferably in AP style
To continue with the application process, please proceed to the internship application.